Stunt driving is a very serious charge and comes with some hefty penalties. Penalties can have consequences not just in your everyday life but for many years after; these include license suspensions, increased insurance premiums, expensive fines and even jail time.
Stunt Driving in Ontario is defined as speeding 50 Km/h or more over the posted speed limit in a zone of 80 Km/h or more and 40 Km/h or more over the posted speed limit in a zone less than 80 Km/h. One can also be charged with this offence when performing a ‘stunt’ while driving, such as “squealing” your tires or making an extremely dangerous maneuver.
Once a Police Officer issues a ‘Stunt Driving’ summons/ticket, you will immediately be issued a thirty-day roadside licence suspension, and your vehicle will be impounded for 14 days…at your own expense.
PENALTIES FOR STUNT DRIVING
Upon conviction of ‘Stunt Driving,’ the penalties are:
- 6 demerit points
- A fine ranging from $2,000 – $10,000
- A possible suspension of your driver’s licence for a period of no more than 2 years by the courts
- An automatic licence suspension of 1 year if convicted by the court
- A possible term of imprisonment for up to 6 months
- If convicted of ‘Stunt Driving,’ your insurance will be affected for up to 3 years or more
Don’t represent yourself; let the professionals at FIX-A-TICKET help you out. We’ll fight to eliminate your charges. If we can’t get the charges dismissed in their entirety, we will use our expertise to negotiate and minimize the charges/penalties to keep you driving.
For more information regarding stunt driving penalties, please go to: https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/070455 or https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90h08?search=stunt+#BK278